Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Chess Opening Quandry

#chess .
So I received the event announcement for the next ICCF Higher tourney that I entered... And I find that two of my White opponents have already sent their first move. Each of them have chosen the Reti which has been my choice of late. I was hoping for some 1.e4 to try out a new system for that as Black I have been exploring. Oh, well.

But, their choice also points out a reason I have for re-vamping my opening repertoire as White; everyone is playing the Reti or another cousin in the 1.Nf3 realm. The London and related Torre and Colle systems are out. They get destroyed (or, at least very strenuously tested) at this level and higher of correspondence play. As White I have been experimenting with the English, Scotch, and traditional Queen's Gambit lines. Each of those represent a five to ten year period of chess playing for me with the Scotch being an old favorite. The trouble with 1.e4 openings is that one rarely gets to play them as Black opponents choose Sicilians, Frenches, and Caro Kanns well over 70% of the time according to most databases.

At any rate, I've got to make the choice quick as opponents have begun sending moves and the official start date is next week.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in a similar boat: I enjoy the Colle and the Colle-Zukertort, but they're too easily defended in correspondence play. I've started experimenting with the Catalan, and I'm even playing a Vienna in one game. (I used to be an e4-only guy.)

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean and NO SPAM!